As the firm of Devitt Spellman Barrett was growing, Mr. Barrett handled numerous types of cases from inception through jury verdict, including motor vehicle, products liability, premises liability, no-fault, labor law construction, defamation and insurance coverage matters. Mr. Barrett has particular and significant products liability experience including countless products, such as cutting and grinding machines, stun guns, furnaces, tires and rims, deep fryers, automobiles, printing machines, and computers.
As the law firm of Devitt Spellman Barrett grew and litigation became more complicated, Mr. Barrett assumed the position of Managing Partner, overseeing attorney assignments, case strategy and workflow in the office, while continuing to litigate complicated and high-profile cases from initial investigation through the conclusion of discovery, including motion practice.
His experience in all aspects of municipal liability, including road design, and school district liability is extensive. He has also established a reputation in directing and personally conducting the immediate investigation of potentially high-value subrogation cases, often on the day the loss is reported.
Mr. Barrett also serves as a prestigious litigator speaking at many lectures and seminars regarding his areas of excellence. Classes and seminars he taught for State Farm Insurance Company include Damage Awards Evaluation in 2006; Estoppel and Waiver Issues in 2005; Sidewalk Liability in 2004; and Video Surveillance and Issues in 2002.
Mr. Barrett was admitted to the New York State Bar in 1982. He is also admitted to the Eastern and Southern Districts of the U.S. District Court of New York.
Areas of Practice:
- Motor Vehicle
- Products liability
- Premises liability
- Labor law construction
- Albany Law School Union University, Albany, New York, 1981, J.D.
- SUNY Cortland, Cortland, New York, 1977, B.A.
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Suffolk County Boy Scouts, 2001 – 2002, Member of Risk Management Committee
- New York State Bar Association, Trial Lawyers Section on Insurance, Negligence and Compensation, Municipal Law, Member
- Defense Association of New York, Member
- Suffolk County Bar Association, Member
- Suffolk Bar Association, Trial Lawyers Section, Member
- Nassau Bar Association, Trial Lawyers Section, Member